It is well documented that some individuals or areas in our Region suffer from a combination of linked problems such as unemployment, low skills, low incomes, higher than average crime rates, poor health, mental health issues and family breakdown. These problems are in greater numbers in those areas identified as being more disadvantaged.
Compared with State averages in the latest G21 report, our Region has:
• Lower levels of education, professional skills and training
• Higher levels of poor physical health, such as obesity and poor diet as indicated by lower intakes of fruit and vegetables.
• Higher levels of chronic disease, particularly in areas of identified disadvantage
• Higher levels of depression and crime associated with violence
Geelong Community Foundation’s key priority is to support programs which address these issues and programs that impact positively upon the lives of the most disadvantaged within our community.
In 2011 the Foundation focused its attention on programs which:
• Encourage school retention and advancement and/ or skills development
• Promote a healthy lifestyle and wellbeing
• Provide family support
Particular priority was given to programs that focus on local areas where these needs are greatest.
GRANT APPLICATIONS are now closed for 2011.